Process a spreadsheet or text fileLast Updated: March 18, 2013
LiveAddress is web-based, so there's nothing for you to download or install in order to run your files through it. All you need is your web browser.
- First, make sure your list is ready to be processed by our system. Here's a sample file that shows input as well as the output.
- Go to smartystreets.com and click Login in the top-right corner.
- Type your email address and password, then click the "Login" button.
- You will be taken to your account dashboard. Click "Upload List".
Choose the file you want to upload. It can be in any of these formats:
- Microsoft® Excel™ (.xls or .xlsx)
- CSV (Comma-separated values, .csv)
- Tab- or pipe-delimited (.txt)
- Compressed .zip file with any of the above inside it
- Your file will be sent to our servers over a secure connection. We recommend the file size be under 2 GB. We suggest you break up very large lists into smaller files.
- Next, LiveAddress needs to know how your file is formatted and what kind of data is in each column. LiveAddress takes its best guess, but you should make sure everything is correct.
Click "Import List" and watch it go! For large lists, this can be like
watching paint dry, but unlike watching paint dry, LiveAddress is very
quick. The results will probably be ready before you are.
During this process, no lookups are deducted from your account.
- When it's all done, click the "Download" link.
You'll be shown a preview of your results and some basic statistics about the
data we found. There's also 3 buttons you can choose from.
- Download — This downloads the full results we have for your list, including the CASS™ Summary Report, and information about your addresses. Choosing this option will either take you to checkout or deduct the lookups from your account.
- Preview — You may download the preview shown on the screen for free. It contains the first 42 records.
- Print Report — Download only the CASS™ Summary Report; no charge to your account.
Your download file contains the following, which can be opened in a spreadsheet
program like Google Docs™ or Microsoft® Excel™:
- components — Contains a granular breakdown of the individual components of each address we processed.
- everything — Not for the faint of heart, this file has everything combined: all input, all output together.
- simple-duplicates — LiveAddress will flag all duplicates. This file contains all the addresses that were duplicated.
- simple-mailable — Includes only the addresses that were confirmed by LiveAddress as real and deliverable.
- simple-rejected — These addresses are not deliverable.
That's it! LiveAddress for Lists is the easiest, fastest list processing engine available—and it comes at a low price to you.
If you're interested in automating your list processing workflow, try using our REST endpoint for LiveAddress for Lists.